Install a WooCommerce upsell plugin if you are concerned about your AOV! Of course, you are. As an online shop owner, one of your concerns is “how to increase AOV.” To clarify for those who don’t know about it, “AOV is the average of the orders at your store.”
One common and easy way to increase AOV is to use the WooCommerce upsell plugin. In short upselling, a product is a great way to offer customers more expensive and valuable products, and that’s how your average will increase.
In this article, we will share some easy ways to increase your sales with the help of free WooCommerce upsell plugins. Because WooCommerce upsells plugins help decrease the cost of 6-7 times less to get revenue from existing customers. So please stick with us because we’ve made an awesome Comparison table of upselling plugins.
You are going to learn how to increase AOV by reading:
- The effect of installing upsell plugin on increasing site sales
- The difference between cross-selling and upsell plugins
- Five best WooCommerce upsell plugins
- In situations your upsell fails
- WooCommerce upsell plugin tips and techniques
The effect of the WooCommerce upsell plugin on increasing sales
Have you ever heard of this famous proverb,” a penny saved is a penny earned”? This proverb also applies to the effect of upselling. Let me show you how!
Think that you can make $50 more from your upsell product if you have 80 customers daily, and only 2-5 percent of them click on and buy you upsell. Guess what? You will get a profit of almost $200 more in a day. And if you calculate it in a month and year, you will be surprised with the result.
4 customers * 50$= 200$ and 200$ in a day means 6000$ in a month 🙂
The difference between cross-selling and upsell plugins
I want to explain these with a touchable example:
Recently I went to eat pizza, and when I gave my order to the young boy behind the counter, he said: “Do you know that for 25 cents more, you can get a large size?” And I thought why not, it’s more reasonable. Pay 25 cents more and get the large one, then share it with your friend. So I said sure! Then he said: “What about french fries? ” As I was tempted with french fries, I couldn’t resist, so I said yes, a small one, please.
See, as simple as it was, the young boy implemented the upsell and cross-sell technique without any try. Asking two questions gave me a sense of temptation.
Now, according to the example, upselling is when you get something more expensive and with more quality. But when you offer something which will complete the primary order is called cross-selling. Being convinced to buy french fries was an example of cross-selling. And deciding to order the larger pizza is upselling.
Since your users accept upselling offers more easily and it seems more logical to them, you should prioritize it. And you should use cross-selling offers when you have complementary products besides the main product. Otherwise, it is not suitable for you.
Five best WooCommerce upsell plugins
A free/premium WooCommerce upsell plugin will help maximize customer lifetime value. Because on average, it takes 3.1 years to break even for a new customer due to purchase and delivery costs.
In this part, we will introduce the five best WooCommerce upsell plugins, which will help you reach customers by 10-30%. Existing customers (especially your best customers) play a big role in this game.
It is interesting to know that upselling is 20 times more effective than cross-selling.
Right after the checkout page passed, this plugin appeared. After adding cart detail, it will show an upsell product in the best way.
This plugin allows you to upsell with exciting offers and present them to your customers. Then, if the customer rejects your offer, you can give him another offer that better suits your customer’s requirements. So with this plugin, you can make as many as you want.
Here are the Features:
- Make unlimited funnel
- Track every single funnel
- Independent Global Funnel
- Exclusive Offer Feature (shown based on email order)
- Shortcodes to Build Useful Offer Page Elements
- Ability to Simplify The Buying Process
- Multiple Payment Gateways
- Available in 9 languages: Dutch, English (US), German, Japanese, Spanish (Colombia), Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Spain), and Spanish (Venezuela)
As customers buy products and go to the checkout page, the special offer element, called an order bump, will appear at the bottom of the page. The point is that the offer can be accepted with just a single click, which will be added to the existing order.
Here are the Features:
- Customize offer box
- Handle variable products differently (with pop-up, you can choose an option you want, size, color….)
- Set discount/ price for the offer
- Choose Offer appearance template
- Have a design tab to change the view completely
- Change upsell tagline
- Track report of the upsell offer
- offers based on the target Category of products
With the help of this WooCommerce upsell plugin, you can show related products to your customer. Remember that related product means “any product similar to the main one or in addition to that.” So you have two choices, making a related product carousel or upsell product carousel.
Here are the Features:
- Make the carousel personalized (change the direction, color, next/ previous arrow, set time interval, carousel transition animation)
- Make Limitless related product box
- Fast loading
- Change upsell/ related product tagline
- enable or disable autoplay
- Responsive for mobile
Although you can upsell/ cross-sell in your WooCommerce store without using any WooCommerce upsell plugin, it will make your product page disorganized. However, you will service from these disharmonies by adding a WooCommerce product slider plugin in your store. You can divide your product into unlimited categories.
Here are the Features:
- Customized carousel
- Dynamic slider title
- Shortcode Generator (able to use your design code)
- Control interval of slider
- Advanced typography settings
- More than one slider on a different page
- Change upsell tagline dynamically
- Special add to cart and product detail setting
By upselling, anything that makes the customer rethink what they are purchasing. So when you show them what other people frequently bought with that product, it will help people to decide better.
YITH uses the advantage of social proof to increase your sales. That’s how it helps to increase AOV. Suggesting what other customers have bought and are satisfied with will increase revenue by 12%.
Here are the Features:
- Change upsell tagline
- Select the recommended products for a targeted upselling strategy
- Decide the number of the product you want to display
- Customize the size of the product image
- Choose the upselling box position (above product tab, use shortcode, above product meta, and …)
- Define discount (highlight discount)
- Add additional text above the products list
In situations your upsell fails
It’s good to mention that it’s not all about upselling to increase your sales. Of course, upselling a product will help you, but sometimes upselling is not your key to success. For example, maybe there is a problem with your checkout page, or the problem is the shipping or lack of trust.
To be successful and make a new online world for yourself, remember to track your site every month so that you will notice the problem soon and prevent losing customers.
Before we dig into the techniques (that work), let me tell you in what situation your upsell fails:
When main features/ parameters don’t match
Always track customers’ needs. Don’t try to sell things that they won’t use. How do you expect your sales to increase when you don’t give them something they want? For example, your customer clicks on dry hair shampoo categories, but your upsell is a greasy hair mask or shampoo! That’s why you fail. You can make a package of dry hair care (shampoo, mask, spray and…)
Full substitutes in the cart may lead to loop and confusion
When you add a similar product as an upsell in a cart, will customers be confused and say which one is better?! So you should clarify the benefits and the differences between products.
A small percentage of a considered purchase
There is a point that most customers know what they want, and your upsell will not attract their attention. It’s not about the problem with your upsell, and it’s just one of the reasons why your upsell fails. Here is the map to succeed with upselling and cross-selling (Assuming that the problem is not with your upsell). Always keep these tips in your mind, and you won’t fail in upselling anymore:
WooCommerce upsell plugin tips and techniques
Customers are clever; if they feel you are just looking for the extra money, they will notice. Instead of making an upsell with lots of profits for you, help your customer solve their problems and needs.
For example, you want to upsell a premium conversion rate plugin. Your client needs to buy a premium conversion rate plugin with a one-monthly membership fee. They do not subscribe for a couple of months because they want to test you first.
So you can upsell them a three months membership with only 30% more cost, which is more tempting than one month. You should honestly explain to your customers that your offer (your upsell product) is worth spending more on.
2. Exhibit the value
By value, I mean something that shows the superiority of the upsell. Give your regular customers some extra value from time to time. Introduce them to products they have not tried before to encourage future purchases. Showing and educating is more profitable for you when your customers don’t know what they exactly need.
Remind customers how a certain product will bring them more value. Use anecdotal evidence or customer’s history for better work. It’s better to put them below the fold of your site.
3. Reward your loyal customers
This is a tip that can bring a 10 to 30% revenue. They’ll purchase from you with just a simple reward for your loyal customers. But it is not always about free shipping or huge discounts. You can show them your care and attention by suggesting related products according to their wishlist.
You don’t need to force and convince them of your upsell; all you need to do is show that these products with these items are available.
4. Get proper feedback
To ensure you are selling to the right customers, you need to collect feedback from them. Talk to them and ask: “are you happy with our product?”. Then, after the final purchase of your primary product, make sure to take proper feedback from them to motivate them to make repeat purchases in the future.
Here is some best ways to collect feedback:
- Use Instagram Stories to collect feedback
- Use the feedback box on the product page
- Be active in social media, send direct messages, answer the comments, and…
- Use request pop-up when a product is purchased
- Send an email
- Send the link to the survey via SMS
We have been talking about how to upsell clearly in the” what is upselling” article. So check this article, too, if you want to have a flawless upsell.
1- how do I add an upsell to WooCommerce?
- You have to install one of the WooCommerce upsell plugins on your site. Then you need to define your upsell product. The process is so simple.
2- What is an upsell plugin?
- A WooCommerce upsell plugin is a tool that will help you to increase AOV. To clarify, AOV is the average of the orders at your store. With the help of this plugin, you can get your customer to buy more products.
3- how can I add a recommended product to WooCommerce?
- There are five best WooCommerce upsell plugins (which we discuss in the middle of the article). You can add your favorite and recommended plugin to your WooCommerce.
What other methods are there to increase sales?
You can re-attract and retarget users who leave your product page due to lack of trust or doubt with the MC WooCommerce Wishlist plugin and increase your sales with follow-up techniques and user inspiration by this plugin advertise only to Show people who are interested in seeing it. Download the free version from the WordPress repository.